Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Restoring Metal Frame Outdoor Dining Chairs


Restoring Metal Frame Outdoor Dining Chairs

I was so motivated after restoring the wood strip bench and glass table that I found the old worn fabric chairs and restored them also. The frames were good strong metal just like new. This is how I restored them.
I bought the WeatherShield 1 x 2 x 8 Pressure-Treated Pine Strips with the rounded edges for $1.97 each at Home Depot to replace the fabric on the 4 metal-framed chairs. I bought 12 of the 8 foot strips and they were cut into 18 inch sections. 

I weatherproofed them with two coats of BEHR PREMIUM WOOD COATINGS TRANSPARENT WEATHER PROOFING ALL IN ONE WOOD FINISH left over from weatherproofing our new deck. I spray painted the metal frames with gloss black paint.
 
I bought over 100 steel bolts and nuts and used an electric drill to drill through the wood strip and into the chair frame at the same time. Then I just inserted the bolts and tightened the nuts. It was easier for me to take it one strip at a time.
 
I am so pleased with the results. The chairs are so sturdy and unlike the cloth chairs, they don’t sag or sink down. After years of plastic chairs and cloth chairs, I am impressed with strength and stability of the new wood chairs. Now I have  all new furniture to compliment my deck.
metal frame outdoor dining chairs

This is the before picture you are not going to believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to leave comments. I will try to answer questions to the best of my ability excluding personal information. I am not an expert and may not be able to answer without further research or experimentation. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I apologize for any mistakes or miscommunication. I will try to edit or correct any mistakes as soon as possible. I will delete any comments that I consider offensive to my readers.