Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Restoring a Metal Lawn Chair

Restoring a Metal Chair




Restored Metal Chair
 
I found a rusty old metal chair and wanted to restore it. This is my story.
 
First I cleaned it with some bleach water. I used a wire brush and dry cloth to wipe it down. I replaced a few bolts and nuts that needed to be replaced but was careful to retain what was left of the integrity of the chair.
RUST-OLEUM RUST REFORMER
Next I used Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer that I found at Walmart for $4.97. I coated the entire chair with two coats. It's a flat black color.
RUST-OLEUM Stops Rust Spray, American Red 
I let that dry a few days and then spray painted it with two more coats of Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Spray, American Red.
 
Turtlewax Paste Wax
Once the paint had cured or really after several weeks, I applied Turtle Wax Paste Wax. I found a small can with applicator at Walmart. Now we will just have to give the old chair the test of time. 
 
Here is the before picture.
 
 
What do you think?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to leave comments. I will try to answer questions to the best of my ability excluding personal information. I am not an expert and may not be able to answer without further research or experimentation. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I apologize for any mistakes or miscommunication. I will try to edit or correct any mistakes as soon as possible. I will delete any comments that I consider offensive to my readers.