Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Restoring a Cast Iron Bench

cast iron/wood bench restored
  Cast Iron Bench Restored

This is how I restored a cast iron bench.
I bought six WeatherShield 1 x 2 x 8 Pressure-Treated Pine Strips with the rounded edges for $1.97 each at Home Depot and had them bundle cut at Home Depot for free into 12 four-foot strips.
wood bench strips

I used BEHR PREMIUM WOOD COATINGS TRANSPARENT WEATHER PROOFING ALL IN ONE WOOD FINISH left over from weatherproofing our new deck and applied two coats to the strips. I like the natural wood color.

I used gloss black spray paint for the cast iron sides that was $.97 a can and used new steel bolts and nuts also some 1 inch screws for the small metal braces that fit under the strips. I drilled holes in the strips, inserted bolts and tighten nuts then reinforce with screws in the braces.
                                                           cast iron bench sides
I loved this project. It was so easy and fast and the results were better than I expected. The bench was falling apart, now it’s sturdy, weather-proofed, and ready to add to my new deck.
 

This is the before picture you've been waiting for.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to leave comments. I will try to answer questions to the best of my ability excluding personal information. I am not an expert and may not be able to answer without further research or experimentation. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I apologize for any mistakes or miscommunication. I will try to edit or correct any mistakes as soon as possible. I will delete any comments that I consider offensive to my readers.